Create an account

Please ensure that you clear your cookies for the site before trying to log in; until cookies are cleared you will experience issues logging/remaining logged in. (April 07, 2020) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is development for this game taking to long?

It is one of the most anticipated games for 2011. But it seems that it has been in development hell for quite awhile. Bioware is still sticking with its Spring/Q2 2011 release, but there should be more details being released each week.

I haven't really been reading the SWTOR boards but from the comments on the facebook page, people are starting to lose interest. There's the common comment that the game will be better if its not rushed, but look at Duke Nukem Forever. That has been in the works for over a decade, although the game has changed developers at least twice that I can think of. The other example would be SC2, which I did play in beta but its just not my type of game and it has done well with sales.

I'd be suprised if tor's released in spring of 2011 .... I'm thinking late summer to fall of 2011 is a more likely scenario for a release .

Spring seems very very unlikely. The word is they put a lot of effort into the graphics and voice overs and not enough into game play so they are stuck trying to not make the game suck. I am thinking 6-9 months for release.
[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19&dateline=1208027303]

I can still see Spring as a possibility. It does get less and less likely as we get closer. They're advertising the game fairly heavily for it to not come out close to Spring though.

As far as being in development for too long, its been around the standard time frame for an MMO. It wasn't too long ago that it was officially announced and that was probably done earlier then expected given that it was one of the worst kept secrets in the industry.
[Image: sig.jpg]

Archangel Wrote:Spring seems very very unlikely. The word is they put a lot of effort into the graphics and voice overs and not enough into game play so they are stuck trying to not make the game suck. I am thinking 6-9 months for release.

Please define. So far from what I know graphics was not part of the majority, because they wanted anyone to be able to play without graphics being an issue. If you say it as in just a butt-load of stuff between all of the planets, toons, ships, and so forth then I would have to agree.

And with a semi-kotor based mmo, I don't think they will have a problem with game play, my only concern is that the story line will be so far in depth that it will be more like watching a movie than actually playing the game. Which might be what you meant, but that can always be made up with unlocking achievements or crafting certain items before advancing in the story (or a part of it), which allows you to go out and do whatever for that thing in particular.

I think, even with an early release the game couldn't be all that bad. No matter when they do release the game, it will still have bugs and kinks to work out. It is easier to add content at a later date, than to rush the game and have downtime constantly due to hotfixes. Which I think we can all relate to.

One can spend a lot of time and energy doing 2D graphics. Why RTS's stopped being 2D and went 3D. So being playable on lower end machines doesn't mean anything about the amount of work that goes into the graphics. Actually it can often take much more time especially if they want it to look great on any machine level. The graphics and voice overs are usually well recieved on reviews and beta testing leaks. Its the game play that gest look down upon.

I think their problem is they set out to make a great story, which is fine for a game like Mass Effects, but forgot it was an MMO and they plugged in standard MMO game play which at this point is not interesting to anyone.

In terms of the story line, I think it helps advance a player in any MMO. It keeps the player intrigued while he/she are doing side quests and leveling up. With a sandbox type, one focuses on grinding for crafting/combat xp (for the most part anyways) which can be rather tiresome and boring.

But I understand what you are saying, and I am not trying to argue with you. There are both positives and negatives that arise, and I can't really say much without actually playing the game for myself.

As for graphics design I know very little about it, so I will take your word on it! I suppose it would be a major part of the engine, and the basis for the game but once parts are hashed out and code can be copied, I would assume that it would take less and less time.

Those low/medium/high settings are often 3 sets of art assests. This is why game developers love consolses, there is only one setting, unless they are also porting to the Wii.

Story is great, and there should be more stories done in MMOs. In the end though, it is a game, and it is all about the game play.

I hope it is a good game though.

Archangel Wrote:Spring seems very very unlikely. The word is they put a lot of effort into the graphics and voice overs and not enough into game play so they are stuck trying to not make the game suck. I am thinking 6-9 months for release.

it won't be that long, they said the target date is spring 2011, i'm guessing between April and May 2011 for release.

I'm not necessarily saying its been in development for to long. Rather, as much time that has past with SWTOR in development, the details are very sparse.

If you look up SWTOR on gamestop.com it shows the release as 1/2/2012 and based on past titles that means the official release date is unknown or no one has permission to publish it. Six months ago, there was a definite release date for Duke Nukem Forever etc and those are still 4 or more months away. Granted, they are not online games. Just saying the time frame between known release dates of those games and SWTOR isn't anywhere close to being the same.

What information that has been released by BioWare has been nice and for awhile they were releasing new things every week. But so far this year there hasn't been a lot based on a Spring release. I had expected player testing to be in full swing by now and more players being selected. Yeah, in a way I'm a bit bitter because I haven't been selected yet :mad: . But there's still time.

I think a lot of people are straying away from it, partially because of the lack of actual game play information. Things like space, which was anticipated to attract a lot of players severely failed to meet those potential players expectations. To me, space is not a major part of online games and the way BioWare designed it falls in line with KOTOR and KOTOR 2.

Zombie - I've read the posts as well and as far as I can tell: Kids today have no patience and demand instant gratification on their terms.

Does waiting for a game allow them to live impatiently or get what they want now? By no means!

This is the very main reason why we have the whiners and complainers on the TOR forums. It used to be just us older people who wanted to help, but with advertisement you get the younger peeps on the forums who don't know what lines are and want to play awesomeness yesterday.
[Image: BRQ8v.gif]

No doubt Hanak, those same whiners and instant gratifycationers (I know its not a word and I dont care Tongue ) are on the SWG forums...they call them Senators. Big Grin

I've seen how they pick Senators - and as a whole I agree. But the difference is many of the things they lobby for have been issues for a long time (thinking gameplay senator here) as for the combat classes. They are in these lines - they just want to click a button and kill the beast, if only they could do that with code....
[Image: BRQ8v.gif]

I'm guessing late summer for release. Maybe a little bit later.
"Return with Honor."-Saberwing motto.

I'd be suprised if it was a spring release ... I'd say april - may they open up closed beta an run beta through the summer . Sept - october they have an open beta , with a november release date to get in on the xmas sales at american thanksgiving time ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Game play video Meparch 12 7,127 05-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Last Post: kateria
  what a fun game Katana 0 7,544 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Taking Leave SyberDog 0 2,285 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Taking a Break from Guild Progressive Ops IamtheKrack 0 1,585 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: