Create an account

Please ensure that you clear your cookies for the site before trying to log in; until cookies are cleared you will experience issues logging/remaining logged in. (April 07, 2020) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recently i've been obsessed with the Tudor monarchs

God how did I miss out on this?

Even though King Henry VIII was a tyrant who only wanted a son heir, who had two of his wives executed in the tower of london (RIP Anne Boelyn and Catherine Howard), he did in fact get a strong heir who wasn't a boy, but a woman (who was the daughter of Anne Boelyn) and under Queen Elizabeth I's rule she pushed aside the spanish armada during her reign who was Queen of England for 44 years, she is by far England's greatest Queen.

My favorite speech by Elizabeth I And who could forget Elizabeth's spymaster, Frances Walsingham if you seen the movies Elizabeth (1998) and Elizabeth The Golden Age (2007) starring Cate Blanchett and Geoffrey Rush you will know exactly what i'm talking about, just brilliant acting.

If you have become obsessed with the Tudor period Cillian, I highly recommend reading the author Alison Weir. She is one of the foremost Tudor historians in the world, and her book Henry VIII- A King and his Court was an amazing insight into Henry the VIII and his rule. Far surpassed anything I have ever read about him. She does mainly non-fiction, but she has 3 fiction novels out now. One about Jane Grey, the 9 day Queen (poor girl), Elizabeth in her younger years, and her most recent about Eleanor of Aquitaine and Henry the II. All very good reads, although keep in mind written by a female author, so expect some small amount of romanticism.

I just finished reading her book on Katherine Swynford, Mistress of the Monarchy. The Ultimate Grandmother of most of the Tudor Dynasty, as well as 4 U.S Presidents. Smile I recently just got the Tudor obsession out of my system myself lol... I think I have read almost every book by Alison Weir, as well as some reference material. And I watched the entire Tudor show, all 4 seasons Smile

For a different twist, Ruled Britannica by Harry Turtledove offers an alternate history view (mostly surrounding William Shakespeare) of the Tudor period had the Spaniards conquered England as planned. Interesting read, though mostly written in period language.

David Starke would be another great historian, I love watching his documentaries about the Tudors, especially about when he's talking about Henry VIII, Anne Boelyn and Elizabeth I, my three favorite Tudors.