Create an account

Please ensure that you clear your cookies for the site before trying to log in; until cookies are cleared you will experience issues logging/remaining logged in. (April 07, 2020) x

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vacation!

Sabers,

The wife and I are going out of town for a week and a few days, so I won't be in game during that time. I should be able to check the boards, but that will be limited as well. However, If anyone needs any Guild Leader functions performed, talk to Polgara. She's running things in my absence.
"Return with Honor."-Saberwing motto.

Have a good time Kirbs!!

Have fun! see you when you get back!

I'm back! That was really fun, but exhausting. I need a vacation from my vacation. =P I'll be on tonight.

Welcome back Kirby!
[Image: 70da112970815893.png]

Thanks!

But... have you returned from your vacation with honor?

LOL! Of course. =P

Pfft, there is no honor in a grown man who goes to harry potter world. :mep:
[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19&dateline=1208027303]

The Harry Potter books are awesome! (The movies, not so much... though they're still pretty good, I guess). How was Harry Potter world?

Disappointing sadly, and I really like the Harry Potter books and earlier movies.

I think the first and third movies are my favorites, despite their very different styles.

The later movies turn into "best scene" reels (understandable, given how long the books become, but still disappointing) with some questionable additions/changes.

Also, Richard Harris was infinitely better as Dumbledore than Michael Gambon. Seriously, I really disliked Gambon as Dumbledore...

I blame David Yates. He edits too darn much out. What he did with Harry's wand and the Elder wand was stupid. The fourth is actually my favorite even though it didn't translate from the book well either.

The fourth movie was pretty good - David Tennant was delightful as Barty Crouch, as was Brendan Gleeson as Mad-Eye. Again, though, I just can't deal with Michael Gambon's Dumbledore. I know the character is supposed to have a sort of kookiness to him, but Gambon's take on the character is just so erratic. It makes me sad...

David Yates is a mixed bag, I think. Some of the stuff he did was really cool - for example, I really liked the fight between the Death Eaters and the Order of the Phoenix at the end of the 5th movie. In general, though, I agree about his editing being too severe. That said, the later books (especially the 6th one) get so exposition-heavy that I think it would be difficult for any director to convey them effectively.

Movies are the wrong format to present books in. They are just to short. However they seem to do well at translating comics, after all comics really are just storyboards.
[Image: image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19&dateline=1208027303]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vacation Starfire 10 5,979 07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Last Post: kateria